What Is It?
The four most common NSGIs are:
- Vaginitis (inflammation of the vagina)
- Urethritis (inflammation of the urethra)
- Cystitis (inflammation of the bladder)
- Proctitis (inflammation of the rectum)
NSGIs may be caused by chlamydia, particularly in men. Some of them, like cystitis, are not necessarily passed on by sexual contact.
What Are The Symptoms?
Symptoms of NSGI include:
- Discharge from the vagina, urethra or anus
- Inflammation around the genital are
- Pain or passing sensation when passing urine
How Is It Treated?
Non-specific genital infections are easily treated with antibiotics.