Most STIs (with the exception of HIV/AIDS) are easily treated. Most treatments are simple and painless. It is important to receive treatment early. Treatment in STI clinics are confidential, non-judgmental and free.
Having an STI isn’t like having a cold, it won’t go away on its own. So get tested and treated as soon as you can to avoid damage to your long term health. It’s free, it’s easy and will give you peace of mind.
Available in the North West, there are 4 GUM/STI clinics. One in Letterkenny ,Sligo, Derry, Coleraine
Letterkenny General Hospital
Telephone 074 91 23715
Phone above number to book appointment
Tuesday between 9.30 am and 5 pm
Thursday 9.30 am to 9.00 pm
Nurse will explain where to go and what happens
Altnagelvin Hospital, Derry
Location: Anderson House, Altnagelvin Hospital (on the grounds of the hospital), Derry
Phone: 048 71 611269 (from ROI) or 028 71 611269 (from N. Ireland)
By appointment only. Free and confidential service for all ages. There are female doctors for female clients and male doctors for male clients.
- STI screening
- Hepatitis testing
- Hepatitis A and B vaccination
- Sexual health information and counselling services
Monday 9.30 -11.30 am.
Tuesday 9.30 am – 11.00 (Male) 11.00 -12.00 (Female)
Wednesday All Day
Thurday AM (Male) PM (Both)
Friday AM (
4 week wait.
- Give you details at reception (all confidential)
- History is taken by a doctor
- Blood and/or swabs are taken
- Testing is carried out for all STIs (if you don’t want to be tested for HIV/AIDS you can refuse)
- They would look at swabs/blood samples there and then, and if necessary you are given medication to treat your STI at the clinic
- If a sample has to go to the lab you can phone for the results or have an appointment to receive your results and get the required treatment if necessary
- If you are a couple, book your appointment for the same clinic and commence treatment if necessary at the same time
STI Clinic – Sligo
Location: Sligo General Hospital, Sligo
Phone: 071 9170473
(confidential answering machine ,message can be left)
Out of hours confidential answering machine, operated by nursing staff. By appointment only. Self referral. Free and confidential service (they do not write to your GP regarding you visit of STI).
Times: Tuesday and Thursday 6pm to 9pm
- Go to waiting area 3 for females and 4 for males in the out-patient department
- A nurse will take you details
- There is a separate waiting area for couples, males and females
- Tea and coffee is provided
- Testing for all STIs
- Diagnose and treat all STIs at the clinic
- Medication is given at the clinic also
- Support/information regarding any concerns you may have regarding your sexual health os given by the nurse at the clinic
STI Clinic – Cloeraine
Location: Causeway Hospital, Newbridge Road, Cloeraine
Helpline Phone No: 048 703 46027/8 (from ROI) or 028 703 46027/8 (from N. Ireland)
All ages. Free and confidential
Times for Helpline: Tuesday 5:30pm to 7:30pm and Friday 2pm to 3pm
New Patient Enquiries: Tuesday 5pm to 5:30pm and Friday 2pm to 2:30pm
Phone: 048 703 46028 (from ROI) or 028 703 46028 (from N. Ireland)
Ring to book appointment
Times: Tuesday 5:30pm to 7pm and Friday 2pm to 5pm
Held in area 2 in outpatients department (passed the shop).
- All STI screening
- A and B vaccination
- Sexual health information and counselling service available also